The international adventures of a singing, dancing zombie queen.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Kids these days!

If there is one thing that makes you remember being a teenager, it’s having your parent tell you that you don’t understand something that you actually do understand. It’s a quintessential barrier between ages; it’s nearly possible to accept that a younger person’s different ideas or qualitative values could be true.

Of course, that's because kids are often full of shit.
But when your happy, glowing, successful, loved, newly married daughter, who finished grad school and is pursuing her intended career tells you that her spirituality is sufficient… well… apparently that’s hard to believe, when she doesn't know God.

It’s frustrating that my mom should get so stumped here.
I’m able to translate her universal truths into my spiritual dialect. Individually, she always smiles and is pleased to hear me eloquently explain the experience of letting go of defensiveness, of forgiveness, of openness, love and gratitude. But she remains convinced that, since I don’t believe in God per say, my spiritual life is not as full as it could be.

She denied that my path could be equal in “fullness” because she assumes that I underestimate her path. This is likely because when I said, “her path,” she imagined whatever my twenty-year-old self said to her in order to fight off her evangelism. But that was ten years ago, and my life and spiritual self have radically matured.

Hearing her tell me that I don’t understand immediately brought back the defensiveness, the sting and the insult of the memory of adolescent frustration. (Most notably because I had the now-rare impetus to go outside and chain-smoke.) Her idea of my spirituality is based on my rebellious, young-adult self. When she insists that I am too inexperienced to understand, she’s basing her analysis on her own inexperience of who I am now.

Geez, parents just don’t understand!!
(hah hah…)

No comments:

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Dance & Fitness Faculty member at San Francisco Peninsula Community Colleges, Director, Choreographer & Featured Dancer, Founder of the Living Dead Girlz, and Owner of the Steele Dance Company, which provides entertainment for festivals, corporate events, conventions and private events. Teaching private dance lessons and creating choreography since 1997, Steele graduated from the University of California at Berkeley with a Double Major in Dance and Comparative Literature and completed her Master of Fine Arts in Dance and Choreography at Mills College. She has toured all the major cities in Germany and performed at the Cannes Film Festival as the featured dancer in TRIP -- Remix Your Experience, a multimedia exhibition of film, live music and art. Steele has also performed as a featured dancer for RJ Reynolds (CAMEL) promotional events. Steele currently manages the go-go dancers of "Poor Impulse Control," who perform frequently in San Francisco's industrial, alternative, and rock venues.

Followers