The international adventures of a singing, dancing zombie queen.

Monday, August 23, 2004

Two great bands and a heart surgery; PLEASE HELP!

What incredible bliss....
I can't believe that I actually found a new band that blows my mind, and not just because I wanna shake my hiney to it, but an actually talented, sexy, exciting, blackly humorous, inspiring and emotionally intense band. I want to sell them my soul. I want to drop everything to run off with their circus. I want to be their circus.
They're the Dresden Dolls, and you will love them. Take a gander and a listen at:
www.Dresdendolls.com

They sold out last Friday night at the Cafe du Nord in San Francisco. There were statue-mimes there, passing out roses, and red velvet and obscene puppets. The floor is murder to stand on, but I am not one who needs encouragement to plant my ass on the bar.

They played "Coin Operated Boy" and "Missed Me" and they even played a Sabbath cover. Their sound is a cabaret punk, he plays the drums, she sings and plays piano...

This week has been a hard one, but simultaneously inspiring. A number of my friends are leaving town; Curly girl is going to Chicago for grad school, another friend is moving to London for grad school and she's taking her two partners who are also my friends... and I worry about my friend John of the Angry Amputees, who is in the hospital. He's already the first person to survive bacterial meningitis, lost both legs below the knees after the doctors cut into his calves and they were black slush all the way through. Yet somehow he managed to become a punk star, the most optimistic person I know and was my close friend and big fan of the soap opera of debauchery and international love that was my college life. I love this guy. He's got a dangly bit of bacteria in his aortic valve now, and in the hospital for weeks while they pump antibiotics into his murmuring and now enlarged heart so that the dangly bug slime doesn't fall off and float into his brain and give him a stroke. Even better, once that dangly bug slime is dealt with, he'll have to have heart surgery to replace the faulty valve.... We'd all thought that he'd be done with hospitals after that first bout.... He's trying to get insurance now, but he hasn't had it so far, so if any of you can help out at all, it's a huge, wonderful gift. He's got a paypal account going for him, and if you donate $20 or more, they'll send you a cool band T-shirt. But anything will help. Please check out their website, it has the link to the paypal...

http://www.theamputees.com/

You'll have my eternal gratitude, and a cool ass shirt...

1 comment:

Queen Zombie said...

Hi, who are you? You can always send me a solitary email to my actual address, if you wanna remain anonymous.

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Dance & Fitness Faculty member at San Francisco Peninsula Community Colleges, Director, Choreographer & Featured Dancer, Founder of the Living Dead Girlz, and Owner of the Steele Dance Company, which provides entertainment for festivals, corporate events, conventions and private events. Teaching private dance lessons and creating choreography since 1997, Steele graduated from the University of California at Berkeley with a Double Major in Dance and Comparative Literature and completed her Master of Fine Arts in Dance and Choreography at Mills College. She has toured all the major cities in Germany and performed at the Cannes Film Festival as the featured dancer in TRIP -- Remix Your Experience, a multimedia exhibition of film, live music and art. Steele has also performed as a featured dancer for RJ Reynolds (CAMEL) promotional events. Steele currently manages the go-go dancers of "Poor Impulse Control," who perform frequently in San Francisco's industrial, alternative, and rock venues.

Followers